Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Well let me tell you something, this is no longer a vacation! It's a quest! It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun...!"-Clark Griswold


"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable" -Dwight D. Eisenhower
I have always been a planner. As a child I was constantly planning talent show acts, clubs, and ways to raise money.  I have also always tried to put myself out there to make things happen.  Now mind you the success rate on my planning and attempting has only been about 50/50. Like the times I ran for class/organization president (3) and won (1).  Or the times I decided to get up and sing karaoke (thousands) and actually sang on key (3.5) or the time I won a dance solo (1) and fell on my behind during the performance (1).  Okay, my success rate is looking muck less than 50/50 at this point...
However, with the exception of planning and attaining my degree, I would have to say my greatest coup was the planning and execution of that first trip together with Brian.  My first line of attack was to acquire the necessary troops to brief me on the battle plans.  I did not know anyone personally that contended to be an expert of DisneyWorld . So I called in the Reserves...the travel authors.  I can tell you, no word of a lie that I read 5 books on the subject.  More specifically I read books for couples, books for idiots, official books, unofficial books (Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World), and books with nifty pockets.  Not only did I read these books but, I cross-referenced them and evaluated the information based on the authors' research methods and extent of their personal experience.  I then made outlines, spread sheets, flash cards. There were budget planners, extensive packing lists, daily itineraries, and step by step battle plans for each of the parks.There was almost a power point presentation. Now, poor Brian,was not quite a planner but more of a go with the flow kind of guy must have been tempted to desert. However, he hung in there.  He hung in there with the planning.  He hung in there with the daily itineraries, touring plans, and restaurant choices. The first couple of days I think he was hanging on for dear life. But that was all that was necessary. After those first couple of days we were triumphant.  The plans were put away into one of those nifty pockets (Passporter Walt Disney World) and we improvised.  We saw everything we intended and more. It was fun, romantic, and in the end even a little relaxing! We returned victors and not at all battle weary. I have to admit I took pride in hearing Brian discuss the trip with everyone. He is now enlisted with me for life.
As time has passed and our children have entered our lives Disney has been a constant magical and joyful retreat for all of us. As the parks have continuously evolved so has our family making each trip a new exciting adventure.  I continue to love all of my researching and planning. However, now the whole family is involved and we have so much more personal experience with 11 Disney World vacations and a Disney cruise since 2001. For each trip the fun begins when we begin to plan.

 So until next time may all your planning be Happy Planning!



"If you can dream it, you can do it" -Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment